Thursday, April 8, 2010

Attraction: The semicolon of relationships

What is attraction? It's not lust or love. It's not about thinking someone is handsome or even attractive. I don't think attraction is a feeling or emotion either.

I think it's a sense. Maybe like a sixth sense. It's wanting to know someone on a deeper level. See into their soul. What they're truly made of. What makes them cry. What makes them laugh. What makes them angry. Who has hurt them in the past and what their dreams are for the future.

I'm talking about the electricity between two people. Maybe it even brings them together - from across a crowded room or lead them to the same aisle in the grocery store. You see them and then smile because you finally realize you've been staring at them for the last minute and a half.

You have to learn to recognize it and listen to it though. Follow it. It's what brings you back to each other after a fight. It's what makes you want to touch them softly and squeeze them tightly.

You also need to be careful though. Sometimes we make ourselves believe we're attracted to that person because we just want SO badly to be with someone...which eventually becomes anyone. You want the relationship, not the person. And that's not fair to either one of you.

But sometimes we find something in that person that you believe in. That was always one of my problems. I would usually try to go after the untamable ones (for the challenge probably) but then become fixated on seeing the good in them. Knowing that they're better than what they're portraying. Knowing that even though the wall is high and the water rough, what's inside of them is worth it.

I can see it. But they don't want to - either at the time or ever. I loved them for what they were inside. Tragedy is passion. It just made me want to hold them closer, kiss them longer. Make them feel loved.

And it breaks my heart when they don't see what I see. When they don't believe in themselves enough to be loving in return.

SONG OF THE DAY: "To Make You Feel My Love" by Adele
Every time I hear this song, I think of the movie "Hope Floats." What do you do to make someone feel your love? Are they receptive? Which of the 5 Love Languages are you? If you haven't before, check out what your Love Language is. If you're in a relationship, see what your partner's Love Language is. Then compare. Because chances are you're trying to love someone the way you feel loved, not the way they feel loved. It may make a difference in your relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment