Friday, July 2, 2010

To Be Somebody's Something

Why do we engage in relationships? Romantically that is. There may be multiple reasons. Each one is probably different. Age, gender, race, etc. plays its own role in the 'why.'

One of my guy friends seems to comment or jab that all women care about how much money [men] make. Now, he's said this before during conversations, but this one happened to start out with, "They don't care what type of aircraft you fly."

Now, I had to agree. I don't care what type of aircraft a guy flies, even though I understand the difference. I also don't care how much money he or any other guy makes. But for the sake of conversation and carefree banter, I indulged him with, "women only care about how much money you make if she's been scorned or you're not worth loving." Now, obviously I was joking. But it got me thinking about what people are looking for in relationships.

Some are looking for true love. Some just want companionship. Some want to have a family, have kids. Some looking for security, which may involve money or loyalty.

And what if those things they are looking for change after marriage? What they wanted then is no longer what they need now.

We're constantly changing, growing, learning...do you just find someone that is willing to put up with it? Someone passive enough to go along with it? Or is there more to it than that? Are we better matched with certain people? And why is that?

I've struggled with relationships that seem to be heavily dependent. I'm an independent person, and I guess I'm looking for someone equally as independent but still someone who cares. Yet I do enjoy the moments that I get to do things for them. Not necessarily that they "depend" on me to do those things, but I do them because it helps them and they'll probably appreciate it. Even really small things. On second thought, especially the small things. Maybe just being there...an ear, a hug, a kiss, a smile, a joke, a kind word. Maybe just knowing that you have someone on your side.

I must be getting sentimental as I age.

I once had a guy tell me, while holding me, that "sometimes you just need to be held." He was a fairly famous playwright and very good with words, but it's what I needed at the time. Even if he would've been from the annoying college student from the dorm floor below, I think it still would've had the same impact.

It wasn't about who it was from; it was about receiving something that I needed.

Is it about the moments or the people in them?

SONG OF THE DAY: "Me" by Plumb
This song has been on my iPod for about 3 weeks now, and I think yesterday is the first day I heard the words. They're so simple and sweet. "I wouldn't trade your love for all the candy in this great big world." Yet my favorite line is: "I wash your face to make room for all the kisses of tomorrow." That completely and utterly touches my heart. Simply beautiful. That's my kind of romance. That's what I want to be for somebody and somebody for me.
What are you to your someboday? What are they to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment