Sunday, March 7, 2010

The One That Got Away

I'm pretty sure we all know what "The One That Got Away" means. Have you ever been that "one" to someone else? Do you ever think about that "one" yourself?

I've been told, by a few guys, that I was "the one that got away." But since we're not together now, I guess I was just too far gone.

I'm trying to think about who I would consider to be my "one who got away." And I have to say that there haven't been a lot of relationships where I wasn't the instigator of letting go. There wasn't really anyone, that I wanted to keep, that got away.

The end of a relationship is always devastating to some degree, whether or not it you left first or last. Maybe I let them all go too easily. I've hung on to a few relationships; but not because of the guy. There are times in my life that I just wanted to be someone and it didn't matter who. Loneliness makes us do crazy things.

Besides the obvious one that I had no choice of getting back, there is probably only one guy that I wonder what might have been. Our relationship was spontaneous at times and frustrating at times. We spent our evenings together and shared our dreams. He was sweet and simple. Our sporatic relationship went on for about a year and a half. We never once called each other "boyfriend" or "girlfriend." Everything we did, felt, shared, and said seemed like we were, but we never said it outloud.

After about a year, I needed something a little more substantial. I wanted it from him, but he said he couldn't give me that. So, I told him that I was moving on.

I soon met someone else and moved across country to be with him. A couple weeks before I left, I was asked to lunch with this previous man. We'd never had lunch together (besides our first date - trip - to Ohio) before, so I knew that this was something out of the ordinary. We met at the restaurant. He looked so different to me, besides having long hair before and now it was shaved. To make a long story short, he was trying to tell me that he was ready to give me what I wanted. I'll never forget the look on his face when I told him I was moving.

So, it's not so much that he got away from me, but that I gave up on him too soon.

SONG OF THE DAY: "What Might Have Been" by Little Texas
The music video to this song is timeless. I can still picture it in my mind while the song plays. We never know how our life is going to turn out; we just have faith that we're making the right decisions. But it isn't until our decisions make life hard that we think back to "what might have been." How different our life would be if we had chose differently. I believe that everything happens for a reason though, and that I am exactly where I'm supposed to be. Yet, every once in awhile, I'll torture myself and think about what might have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment