Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Who's Our Female Casanova?

So, I was thinking about how men love women the other day. Why are we always so enamored when we hear stories of men loving women? Then I was thinking about famous men who were known for loving women. Casanova came to mind right away. Then other characters in various movies: Jack Dawson (Titanic), Tristan (Legends of the Fall), Christian (Moulan Rouge), etc.

Then I tried to think of famous women known for loving men. I came up with Heidi Fleiss, Aphrodite, Helen of Troy, and ...I don't know. So, I was drawing a blank and the ones I already named weren't good role models. The first one was known for sex, the second one also known for sex (and didn't she eat her young or something like that - like most Greeks), and the third started a war because she ran away from her husband to be with another man. Who's our Casanova? Hilary Clinton?

Most of the famous women that I can think of became famous for great acts of humanitarian things or feminist things. Which one of our gender is known for loving men? Really loving them? I'm even trying to think of women from movies. Most movies are about men screwing up and women having to take them back - and those are called Romantic Comedies. What women have been willing to die for their men?

I may need some help on this one. I was even trying to think about love songs about women loving men or a woman loving a man SO much that he needs to write about it. I came up with a few, but why aren't there more songs like that written by men? Women usually write about how much they love their man. But I'm talking about songs written by men saying how much their women loves them. Lionel Richie has some, and there are others from his era. But seriously, there should be more.

Maybe it's just so expected that it's not anything to write about. Women are naturally nurturing and loving - so nothing new. Not a new concept. But men on the other hand. When a man knows how to love, we can't stop writing about it. In songs, in poetry, in movies, in letters home to our mother and friends.

It's not like they say to their buddies over a nice cold beer, "Wow! My woman really knows how to love me. I just feel loved all of the time. She never needs to say it. It's just in what she does. I'm so lucky."

But women do. We can't help but tell our friends all about the latest thing our sweet, enabling husband/boyfriend did for us - to make the other ones jealous of course. Then we go home and tell our husband/boyfriend what our friend's husband/boyfriend did for them. Not just for informational purposes. It's a hint. We don't tell them because we think they'll really care. We tell them so that they may get the brillant stroke of genius to something like it. Not that we really think it'll happen, but sometimes, when years go by, it's time to start dropping hints.

I guess the reason I started thinking about his was because I'm reading the book "Love Is a Mix Tape" and keep thinking how sweet the book is. How sweet it is for a man to be so in love with a woman that he wrote a book to honor her. Not because she was famous or because she did amazing things - but because he loved her and she loved him.

The book to me isn't about depth or having some epiphany, but it's about how music brought two people together and their life was more beautiful with each other - and music - in it. They were true. Their story is true. And in that truth, I find beauty.

He may feel like he was lucky for having her in his life, but I think she was lucky to have someone love her that much.

SONG OF THE DAY: "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds
I have to say that this is TRULY one of my favorite love songs. I remember when this song was dedicated to me by my disc jockey boyfriend. I was sick (lying in his bed) and he knew that I still had to listen to his radio show. It was a small college radio station, so I'm not sure anyone else heard the dedication that night, but I didn't care. He knew I was listening. He knew this was our song. And he knew that, at least for the moment, it would make me feel better. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment