Monday, March 8, 2010

To Be Saved

I had the best intentions to start reading my book tonight, but three school projects kind of took over my time. I have a mild obsession with angels, and so naturally, one of my design projects is intertwined with an angel theme.

As I was gluing each individual feather, I couldn't help but turn on the song by Jewel, "Angel Standing By." I believe in angels and wondered if one was watching me and smiling. My artistic recreation was a bit abstract but relevant. If I were an angel, I would have smiled.

Angels are said help us in a time of need. We may not know that they're there or that we need them, but that's not the purpose. We just need saving from ourselves sometimes, and most of the time, we don't even know it yet.

Like angels, friends and family do an excellent job of taking on the role of protector, especially during a break-up. I'm not one that asks for help easily. I don't like feeling weak or incompetent. But my close friends know me and can sense my vulnerability. And my true friends are always there; standing by. Just in case I need them.

One time in particular, I was feeling pretty pathetic because of a guy. (Go figure.) Well, I called up one of my best friends to complain and whine. He quickly made me realize that I was being ridiculous and not acting at all like myself. All he had to say was, "This is not the girl I know." He was absolutely right. I don't get pathetic and weepy over men. They usually just piss me off and I move on. I don't exactly know how I got caught up in the frivolities of this relationship, but that one phrase was enough to snap me out of it.

Sometimes we need a hug. Sometimes we just don't want to be alone. And sometimes we just need to be reminded of who we are and that it's wonderful to those that matter.

So, whether you rely on a friend, family member, or angel to save you from yourself - just remember that we all need saving. Even the strongest, most stubborn people.

SONG OF THE DAY: "We All Need Saving" by Jon McLaughlin
I remember where I was when I first heard this song. I needed to hear these words at that exact moment in time. It reminded me that my hardship was just something I had to go through. I have faith that everything I do and go through has a reason. I may even need to learn a lesson in the process. I sometimes forget to ask for help when I'm going through things because I don't want to feel like I'm burdening others with my problems. Yet I've never felt like that when I am the voice of reason when my friends need help. I can't expect to go through life by myself and never lean on anyone else for compassion. I try to be strong, but when I can't, I know who is standing by to help bring me back around. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment