Thursday, February 25, 2010

Once

As much as I like to read books about love, I also think movies are like short stories and learn by that media.

I've seen this certain movie on the Blockbuster shelf for awhile now and keep telling myself I should rent that. I usually put it in my hand, carry it around the store, and then end up putting it back. I never really knew what it was about either.

I remember my friend making me listen to a song in her car while we were heading to lunch one day. She said that she heard it on an award show and really liked it. It was "Falling Slowly" by The Frames. I had never heard of that group, so I listened and instantly fell in love. (Yes, mom. When that song comes on the radio, I say 'I love this song.')

So, naturally, I wanted to hear more songs by this group and others like them. I tend to gravitate toward the suicide ballads. They just seem to have more soul and emotion to them than regular love songs. It's almost like you can hear the pain in their music and voice.

Well, I finally watched the movie, "Once," tonight and again fell in love. It not only contains "Falling Slowly," but others like it. Not to mention it's a simple, sweet story about a guy and a girl. I wouldn't necessarily say it's "love," but you can make up your own mind. Fabulous. Nothing too complex and yet the ending has depth and anticipated resolution.

I've always been attracted to musicians for some reason. Singers, drummers, and of course, piano men. There is just something beautiful about a man playing a piano. The instrument itself is beautiful, and then if you add a handsome, talented man to the mix: near perfection. I find them inspiring and majestic. How someone expresses themselves is an insight into their soul.

I recommend the movie as well as dating a musician. I just don't recommend breaking up with a musician or artist because, inevitably, they'll use you as their muse (good, bad, or ugly).

SONG OF THE DAY: "Falling Slowly" by The Frames
You knew that one was coming. I love all of the lines in this song. Songs are like poetry to me. I try to figure out the true intent of the author and what each line means. I may interpret them incorrectly, but I'm still moved by my interpretation. I don't really have to "think" about a song; I just have to pay attention to my mood and emotion after listening to it. "You have a choice. You've made it now." I choose love (when it comes around).

No comments:

Post a Comment